Episode 29: Menopause and Metabolism
It’s MARCH and to kick off the month we have a very special episode! In part one of a two part series, Coach Carrie is joined by Mark McDonald, the father of PFC Every 3! Mark is a diet, nutrition, fitness & health expert, television star, global instructor and speaker and the author of the New York Times bestselling book Body Confidence! He is also the founder of Venice Nutrition, the company through which Disruptive Nutrition’s coaches are certified! Carrie and Mark join forces in the episode to talk about perimenopause, menopause, and post menopause. They discuss…
The Impact of Body Type
- 5% of your muscle mass is lost every decade from 30 years
- Loss of muscle mass slows your metabolism
- Ectomorphs have fast metabolisms
- Mesomorphs have an average metabolism
- Endomorphs have a slow metabolism
- As you go through menopause, every decision you made from 20 years and older, will determine the speed of your metabolism
The Impact of your Set Point
- In your hypothalamus, you have a weight regulating mechanism (WRM)
- Lower set points means your WRM is allowing you to burn more and store less
- As you get older and your hormones shift and your WRM rises
- Slowly and steadily over time, your body starts to store more and burn less
Where to Start
- Acknowledge where you are with your body type and metabolism
- Realize this: if you Implement the right strategies to can reverse the damage you have done to your body
The Importance of Hormones
- Your hypothalamus is your appetite and hormone center
- Your thyroid is your metabolism
- The roles of cortisol, epinephrine, and norepinephrine
- The importance of growth hormone
- During menopause, you lose the production of estrogen and progesterone
- Loss of estrogen and progesterone equates to loss of insulin
- Proper nutrition can help and support our bodies by helping to regulate our hormones and counter that loss
The Importance of Blood Sugar Stabilization
- Skipping meals results in blood sugar crashes, increased glucagon, and muscle loss
- Overeating spikes your blood sugar
- Keeping your blood sugar stable can help get your hypothalamus moving, decrease cortisol, and help get or keep your body producing female hormones
- When you use food to balance your blood sugar, you get MORE hungry over time
You can STILL join our free Seminar!
Diagrams shared during the episode:
- Blood Sugar Stabilization Chart http://venicenutrition.vnonlinesystem.com/images/v4-why-bloodsugar.png
- The Cycle of Dieting: http://venicenutrition.vnonlinesystem.com/images/v4-why-yoyo.png
- Hormone Production: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HnUX69TaZAmVn4PjWu0co2bZI5Cb_ehs/view?usp=sharing
- When Blood Sugar is Stable: http://venicenutrition.vnonlinesystem.com/images/v4-why-whenstable.png
- PFC Every 3: https://venicenutrition.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/VN-Graphics-PFC-Every-3-Both-Types-V2.png
Learn more about making good nutrition a sustainable lifestyle by heading over to Facebook to interact with Carrie and her team! We answer questions, share timely and relevant information, and even share our grocery store finds! You can find us by going to www.facebook.com/groups/dietdisruptors! Be sure to subscribe to this podcast to learn more as Carrie and her coaches continue to disrupt everything you THOUGHT you knew about nutrition!
Sponsor: 4 Weeks to Wellness Lifestyle Launch www.4w2w.com
When we are at our optimal health, things like menopause can even be dealt with in a way that is not so traumatic.
Understand Your Body better!
If you are an endomorph and you are shooting to be super, super skinny… you’re not going to be happy!
We can’t go backwards, but we don’t have to lose hope!
Our bodies are talking to us. They have BEEN talking to us for the last 50 years… we just haven’t been listing.
I don’t care if you’re an ectomorph, a mesomorph, or an endomorph. It’s about getting to your optimal health… and you can do that!
You have to start where you are! It’s not about what you did 20 years ago!
As your hormones shift, you have to raise your game.
You CAN reverse your metabolism.
Get clear on your body type, understand your set point, and understand that your body will slow down over time no matter what you do.
When you are NOT balancing your blood sugar, your thyroid moves that much slower. Your cortisol levels raise that much more. If you don’t balance your blood sugar, and you go back to the dieting world, you are writing your own destination to not living the quality of life.
Dieting is speeding up the process of slowing down our metabolism.
Every time you skip a meal, your body sugar is dropping. When your blood sugar drops, your body over-releases a hormone called glucagon, which makes you cannibalize lean muscle, so it slows your metabolism. But it also puts stress on your body. That stress on your body, causes an increase of cortisol. And when you have too much cortisol, you go into a negative state that affects your blood sugar, that over-releases insulin, and creates a negative environment in your body. THEN any time you’re overeating, you spike your blood sugar, you over-release insulin.
Realize your results will move a little slower. The way you get your thyroid moving again. The way you minimize the amount of cortisol you’re releasing. The way you can help counter the slower or non release of female hormones is to balance your blood sugar with proteins, fats, and carbs.
When you start to get hungry every 3-4 hours, even if you haven’t met your goals yet, it’s this confidence that you are doing something right by your body
Body type: accept it and love it> Dieting mindset: let go of it! >Start understanding your hormones! >Start balancing your blood sugar!
When blood sugar is stable, we can burn fat and we can increase lean muscle.
Nutrition supports your fitness program.
It IS possible, we CAN live our best lives, and THROW AWAY THE SCALE!